Tuesday, August 19, 2008

If you can't market yourself....

Yesterday I interviewed a candidate for a product marketing manager position. This person made it through a recruiter's filter. My first question was whether he had any questions for me. He had to think of one on the spot. Not a good sign. I then noticed that most of the job titles and highlights on his resume were for an inbound product management position. He noticed my concern and said that he hadn't updated his resume as he was using one he prepared for another company. So, within the first 5 minutes I know I wouldn't hire him and I invested a further 55 minutes in order to be polite. Everyone's time was wasted. I think he's just looking for any job. If he does indeed want to work here then he did a lousy job at marketing himself which leads to the question: if you can't market yourself why do you think you can market a product?

No comments: